The city of Moessingen is located at the bottom of the Schwaebische Alb (a local mountain area). The river Steinlach is running through the city. Today the city consists of the old city of Moessingen and the surrounding villages of Belsen, the Sulphur Spa, Bad Sebastiansweiler, a new living area called Baestenhardt, the old villages Talheim and Oeschingen.
The city was mentioned the first time in a papers of the monastery of Lorsch and could therefore celebrate the 1200 anniversary. From the Middle Ages to the Reformation the destiny of Moessingen can be followed by documents of the monasteries of Lorsch, St. Gallen, Stetten and the Bistum Konstanz, the Dukes of Zollern, Hohenberg and Württemberg. Finally in 1441 Friedrich the Oettinger sold his last parts of Moessingen to the Duke of Wuerttemberg.
In 1534 Duke Ulrich introduced the Reformation in the whole area and the former priest Johannes Lupp converted to the Lutheran Protestant confession. During the 30-year war the city of Moessingen was hit severely by the different troupes passing by. After that there have been impacts as well from the French Wars between 1743 and 1745 and the Austrian Heritage War. Due to the close distance to Tuebingen and Rottenburg the city was hit as well by the coalition wars at the end of the 18. century.
Due to the poor times in the 19th century and a extensive natural catastrophe, which hit the city, the people lived in poverty. As a consequence different waves of emigration started. From 1782 to 1851 79 families with 469 persons left Moessingen and Belsen to Poland, Podolien, the Russian Kaukasus, to Romania and America. Moessingen was at the top ranking of Emigration to the East. This is true as well later for the emigration to America.
After World War II the city took a very positive development and increased the population from 5.000 in 1950 to 10.000 in 1978. In parallel it changed from a farming and craftsmen dominated city to a modern industrial city with textile, wood and metal industry.
Moessingen is the third largest city within the county of Tuebingen, after Tuebingen and Rottenburg.
Beside the size of the city you don’t find a lot of Kemmler in Moessingen. Johann Georg Kemmler (*20.12.1848) from Stockach married Christine Maier from Moessingen, but after 2 generationen the line expired.
Lutheran Parish in Moessingen
Parish of the Peter und Paulskirche
Phone: +49 7473 6275
Parish of the Martin Luther Kirche
Phone: +49 7473 6541
Parish of the Johanneskirche
The Lutheran parish records are available locally, but they may not be accessible to the public. Copies of the books and registers have been microfilmed by the Wuerttembergische Evangelische Kirche. Copies of the mircofilms are available also via the Mormon church.
Last names of emigrants in my database
Haag, Hezer (Hetzer), Neth, Steinhilber, Streib, Wagner